Faced with a substantial need to research plants suitable for growing and surviving in a rugged northern climate, in 1956 the Men’s Garden Club of Minneapolis approached the Minnesota State Horticultural Society with an idea for an arboretum. An option was taken on 160 acres of land near the University of Minnesota Fruit Breeding Farm west of the Twin Cities, and with the help of a gift from the Lake Minnetonka Garden Club, the land was purchased in 1958 and given to the University of Minnesota for the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum.
At the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum, we seek to: Welcome, inform and inspire all through outstanding displays, protected natural areas, horticultural research, and education.
3 Civic Center Plaza, Suite 100
Mankato, MN 56001